Police Rules Out Foul Play in Death of Female Officer, Her Baby

The directorate of police health services has ruled out foul play in the death of its female police officer, Miriam Saidia Avaku and her one-year-old baby Rahima Nabirye. The duo was discovered dead on Sunday morning inside their two-bedroom house at Nsambya police barracks.

Soon after Avaku’s and her baby’s corpses were recovered, speculation on the cause of death started with many pointing to possible poisoning. However, the poisoning rumour was dispelled fast after it was established that the deceased had supper together with other five house occupants including the maid.

In order to establish the exact cause of death, police pathologists last evening conducted a postmortem which has since revealed the cause of death for Avaku and Nabirye as carbon monoxide poisoning.

The report that has been sent to police headquarters indicate that Avaku had a meal with other house occupants Stella Angucia 21 who is the maid, Jackie Faida 17, Patrick Siguni15, Ryan Tibenkana and Nabirye at 8pm.

Quoting the report, Fred Enanga, the police spokesperson, said Avaku went to bed in a very good condition. But around 10pm, the baby suddenly woke crying and convulsing. Enanga explained that the maid Angucia woke up to make the baby stop crying but in the process she too lost conscious.

Angucia regained her conscious at around 5am and she noticed that the baby had already died and its mother wasn’t responding. Angucia rushed to inform their immediate neighbour John Adukule and they checked on all other family members. It was established that Avaku and the baby had died while other family members were well but weak.

The scene of crime police officers have since established that there was a charcoal stove created in one of the rooms and it’s the one that emitted the carbon monoxide that killed Avaku, her baby and also made other occupants unconscious.

Police have reminded the public to always avoid leaving burning charcoal stove or electric appliances on as they go to bed. Even leaving the car engine running inside the garage specially in the evening hours or during rain could result in death by suffocation.

Last year six people suffocated to death in their temporary structure. The deceased were Sadik Lumu, aged 26 and his wife, along with their four children aged between six years down to six months, of whom three were girls.

Scroll to top
Close