FULL LIST: NRM MPs Who Have Expressed Interest to Replace Oulanyah as Speaker
With the passing of Speaker (now former) Jacob Oulayah, the position he occupied fell vacant and is supposed to be filled quickly as no business can happen in Parliament before a new Speaker is elected, according to Article 82 (4) of the 1995 Constitution and Rule 5 (4) of the Rules of Procedure.
On Tuesday, a total of 13 MPs including some ministers expressed interest in the position, including the Deputy Speaker, Anita Among.
- Jacob Oboth Oboth – Minister of Defense ( General duties)
- Jackson Kafuuzi – Deputy Attorney General
- Jane Ruth Aceng – Minister of health
- Hamson Obua – Minister of State for Sports
- Amos John Okot – Agago North
- Theodore Ssekikubo – MP, Lwemiyaga
- Pius Wakabi – Mp, Bugahya county
- Florence Akiiki Asiimwe – Masindi Woman MP
- Felix Okot Ogong – MP, Dokolo South
- Sarah Opendi – Tororo. Woman MP
- Atima Jackson Lee Buti – MP, Arua City central division
- Brandon Alex Kintu – MP, Kagoma North
Minister of Health Dr Ruth Aceng has today withdrawn from the race.