With the passing of Speaker (now former) Jacob Oulayah, the position he occupied fell vacant and is supposed to be filled quickly as no business can happen in Parliament before a new Speaker is elected, according to Article 82 (4) of the 1995 Constitution and Rule 5 (4) of the Rules of Procedure.
On Tuesday, a total of 13 MPs including some ministers expressed interest in the position, including the Deputy Speaker, Anita Among.
- Jacob Oboth Oboth – Minister of Defense ( General duties)
- Jackson Kafuuzi – Deputy Attorney General
- Jane Ruth Aceng – Minister of health
- Hamson Obua – Minister of State for Sports
- Amos John Okot – Agago North
- Theodore Ssekikubo – MP, Lwemiyaga
- Pius Wakabi – Mp, Bugahya county
- Florence Akiiki Asiimwe – Masindi Woman MP
- Felix Okot Ogong – MP, Dokolo South
- Sarah Opendi – Tororo. Woman MP
- Atima Jackson Lee Buti – MP, Arua City central division
- Brandon Alex Kintu – MP, Kagoma North
Minister of Health Dr Ruth Aceng has today withdrawn from the race.