Chaos Breaks Out at Jakana’s Funeral

Chaos has broken out at the funeral of Jakana Nadduli, the son of Abdul Nadduli in Kadunda village in Kapeeka sub-county in Nakaseke district.

Trouble started after National Unity Party-NUP party supporters stormed the funeral armed with placards containing photos and names of missing persons in protest against the ongoing abduction of their colleagues.

The situation deteriorated further when Kiryandongo Deputy Resident District Commissioner Henry Ssebunya who was serving as the Master of Ceremonies attempted to block some NUP legislators and Secretary General, Lewis Rubongoya from addressing the mourners. NRM supporters led by a youth-only identified as Majambere joined the RDC and started roughing up the NUP supporters forcing other mourners to flee into banana and coffee plans to avoid the chaos.

By the time of compiling this story, Sheikh Ramadhan Mulindwa, the Kadhi of Luwero district had taken over the microphone to start the funeral services despite the fact that the body was yet to arrive. He, however, couldn’t proceed because of the tension prompting Nakaseke District Police Commander, Ben Nuwamanya and his team to take over the funeral as several mourners started vacating the area. Police have deployed strategically along the road to restore calm. Jakana’s father, Abdul Nadduli lost his phone in the fracas and was evacuated by his bodyguards for his own safety.

Jakana Nadduli, 37, a strong critic of the ruling National Resistance Movement-NRM party breathed his last around 1:30 am on Monday morning while being rushed to a clinic in Wobulenzi town. His death comes a few weeks after his release from remand in prison. Jakana was locked up for allegedly promoting sectarianism against the Banyakole and Banyakole on social media, a claim he dismissed. 

His father, Abdul Nadduli, the former Luwero LC V Chairperson has blamed the death of his son on his arrest shortly after undergoing an operation at Nsambya hospital following a nasty accident. Nadduli told journalists that his son complained of torture while in detention despite the fact that he was recuperating from the surgery.

Scroll to top