Second Ebola Death Confirmed in DR Congo
A second Ebola patient has died in the Democratic Republic of Congo days after a fresh outbreak emerged in the city of Mbandaka, in Equateur province.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said the second fatality was a female relative of the first case.
“It was difficult for the response team to trace her because she ran away from the team on the ground to a prayer meeting,” Dr Gervais Folefack told the BBC in a phone interview.
“By the time the team got to her, it was already too late. She died before receiving any treatment. Both of them were buried in line with safety guidelines,” he added.
On Monday health authorities said more than 100 people had been identified as possible contacts, and a vaccine was expected to be rolled out this week